> On Mar 27, 2017, at 4:20 PM, Jon Awbrey <jawb...@att.net> wrote:
>
> As long as Peirce was writing for readers with relevant backgrounds
> in the practice of math and science it wasn't really necessary and
> would even have been considered impertinent for him to waste words
> on points that everyone in that audience would regard as routine.
>
> Does that have any bearing on questions about the reality of generals?
> It's hard to say.  I guess it's bound up with the reasons I think the
> only real realists I know and the only practicing pragmatists I know
> are all mathematicians, or at least scientists who use mathematics,
> for the moments they are immersed in doing so.

Mathematics certainly biases one towards realism, especially in physics. While
physicists are infamous for inconsistency in foundations by and large I think
most have the idea that the universe in mathematical. While there’s still
strong empiricist and instrumentalist tendencies there’s also a traditionally
strong realism towards at least the foundational laws of physics. Where things
get more tricky is whether the laws/structures that aren’t foundational are
real. I think Peirce says yes, but many would find that problematic.