List,
Trying to make myself a concept of "determination", I am thinking: Is it a part of a dyadic interaction? And, if the three sign parts S,O,I have dyadic interactions, I guess these are results of a projective reduction, which is possible (Jon Awbrey), in contrast to a compositional (real) reduction (irreducible triad).
I try to imagine "determination as the "pull"-part of a "push-pull"- interaction. The sign pushes the object into existence: It denotes it, creates it as a subject´s aboutness. In return the object pulls, determines the sign.
The sign is brought into existence (pushed) by the interpretant via the interpretant´s interpretational capacity. If this capacity would not exist, then there would be no sign. In return the sign "pulls" at the interpretant: It takes advantage of this capacity of its: It determines it.
What about the interaction between interpretant and object? Maybe this is the part, in which the interpretant becomes a new sign?
Best, Helmut

 04. April 2018 um 21:06 Uhr
 "Gary Richmond" <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Jon S, list,

A question for the sake of clarity.

Preceding your list of the 10 orders of determination you wrote:

JAS: "In summary, I now believe that the complete order of determination--the logical sequence of the semiotic Correlates and their Relations, not necessarily their temporal sequence in a concrete instance of semiosis--is as follows" (emphasis added).

Then your list of these 10:
  1. Mode of Being of the Dynamic Object (Od) - Abstractive, Concretive, Collective.
  2. Mode of Presentation of the Immediate Object (Oi) - Descriptive, Designative, Copulative.
  3. Mode of Apprehension or Presentation of the Sign (S) - Tone, Token, Type.
  4. Nature of Reference (Od-S) - Icon, Index, Symbol.
  5. Purpose of the Final Interpretant (If) - Gratific, Actuous (to produce action), Temperative (to produce self-control).
  6. Mode of Being of the Dynamic Interpretant (Id) - Sympathetic (feeling), Percussive (exertion), Usual (another Sign).
  7. Mode of Presentation of the Immediate Interpretant (Ii) - Hypothetic, Categorical, Relative.
  8. Nature of Intended Influence (S-If) - Seme (rheme/term), Pheme (dicisign/proposition), Delome (argument).
  9. Manner of Appeal (S-Id) - Suggestive (presented), Imperative (urged), Indicative (submitted).
  10. Nature of Assurance (S-Od-If) - Abducent (instinct), Inducent (experience), Deducent (form).
Also, specifically regarding the determination of the three Interpretants you wrote:

JAS: "Hence the order of determination of the three Interpretants is If, Id, Ii; and since Peirce explicitly indicated that Od, Oi, and S precede these (EP 2:481; 1908), only the arrangement of the Relation trichotomies remains to be established."

Are you suggesting that there might perhaps be some sort of logical involution happening here (at numbers 5-7) in the sense of that term as employed in "The Logic of Mathematics" at CP 1.490 such that 7 involves 6 which involves 5)? For the determination of the three Interpretants in your "complete order of determination of the semiotic Correlates and their Relations"  seems not only not to be temporal (in the sense that you noted in the first snippet above, tempered a bit by the phrase "not necessarily"); nor can I make much sense of these three from the standpoint of "determination." Why are they ordered as they are in this sequence?

As you suggested that you yourself are, I too have become confused by what Peirce means by "determination," not only as regards the three Interpretants, but throughout the 10. Even what had once seemed clear enough and simple enough to me, viz., that the Od determines the Oi which in term determines the S which determines some I (I had thought firstly that this would likely be the Ii), makes we wonder if Peirce is using determination in the same sense throughout. It seems to me that he is not, but I would be hard pressed to explain, for example, how the determination of the Oi by the Od differs from that of the S by the Oi (of course we're concerned here in any event with  logical and not physical determination).

Am I still somehow conflating facets of this abstract list of the order of determination with determination in some "concrete instance of semiosis"? Perhaps I am.

But then, again, why this sequence of the 10? Your list at first blush makes sense to me, but for now creates more questions than answers in my mind.

I also continue to find terminological problems in the list, especially if it is ever to become more generally useful. Which semeiotic or other scientific community is your list meant to address? Peirce's endless re-neologizing becomes for me a significant problem in his late semeiotic, although he no doubt does this to clarify (at least for himself) certain subtle distinctions, only some of which can I yet fully appreciate (he'll also in places offer a term x, "or" term y--I'd suggest that to the end he was constantly experimenting, never fully settling on a 'final' or 'best' terminology).

Best,

Gary

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
718 482-5690