Jeff,

I see the question you've posed here as one manifestation of the necessary
tension between analysis and synechism which drives Peircean semiotic. For
the synechist, semiosis is a continuous process: any parts it has are of the
same nature as itself. Yet for the analyst, it has three "separate" parts:
object, sign, interpretant (in the order of determination); and the various
possible relations between the parts (taking account of the mode of being of
each part) enable us to distinguish between types of signs.

If we think of determination as a continuous process that takes time, its
continuity implies that the analysis can be applied at any time scale, and
the relations between the structures at these different scales (or levels of
analysis) will show a self-similarity. But if we do a logical (rather than
temporal) analysis of the parts, which as products of analysis have already
given up their continuity, then the relations between parts at different
levels of analysis becomes problematic. For instance, when we analyze the
sign's determination of the interpretant to get different three types of
interpretants, we can't take for granted that they all have the same
relation to the object that the Interpretant has to the Object at the first
level of analysis.

So my answer to your question is: It depends on whether you consider the
matter analytically or synechistically.

Gary f.