Jon, List

*FB:  Peirce says that a sentence's subject, i.e. the proper name, is its
"object" (he says so in very many places).*

*JAS: Please provide at least a couple of citations.*

"Subject and Object are the same thing except for trifling distinctions"
(EP 2:494)

 "A Proposition is a sign which distinctly indicates the Object which it
denotes, called its Subject" (R 425: 135–136) NB: the object indicated is
"called" subject. Here it's not the subject that indicates the object: it's
the proposition that "distinctly" (= separately) indicate its object
(=subject)

 "The first member of the triplet, the “Seme,” embraces the logical Term,
the Subject or Object of a sentence" (R 295: 26–30)

"I term those occasions or objects which are denoted by the indices the
subjects of the assertion" (CP 2.334)

"That which a Sign 'stands for', or 'refers to' [...] is otherwise called
its Object. Usage might, equally well, have made is call it the Subject,
since there is no logical distinction between the two words." (R 849: 11)

"That which a concept is 'about', that to which it applies, that which the
predicate is spoken of, is called its object. In grammar, it is called the
subject nominative. For the words 'subject' and 'object' mean pretty much
the same thing" (R 659: 19–20)

*JAS: Where did Peirce state that (only) Symbols have a general Object and
(only) Indices have an individual Object?  Again, my current understanding
is instead that every Sign is a Type, has a General Object, and only exists
in Replicas, each of which has an individual Dynamic Object.*

Here for example:

CSP: "the demonstrative pronoun "that" [...] is not a Symbol, since it does
not signify a general concept." (EP 2: 295). If the demonstrative pronoun
"that" were capable to signify a general concept, it would be a Symbol. For
only symbols signify general objects. But it is not: it is an index,
because it signifies an individual object. Which, by the way, also refutes
your claim that "every sign has a general object".

Other examples:

CSP: "There are three kinds of representamens, or signs: icons, or images;
indices; and symbols, or general signs" (R 492, 1903)

CSP: "All general, or definable, Words, whether in the sense of Types or of
Tokens, are certainly Symbols. That is to say, they denote the objects that
they do by virtue only of there being a habit that associates their
signification with them." (Prolegomena, 1906)

CSP: "Deduction involves the analysis of the meanings of general signs,
i.e. of symbols", CSP to F. A. Woods, R L 477 (1913).

*JAS: The General Object of "_____ is lethargic" is the aggregate of Real
substances that possess the character of lethargy, its Dynamic Object is
whatever one of its Replicas actually denotes when employed in an Instance
of the Sign, and its Immediate Object is whatever its Replica could denote
to someone who knows only the definitions of English words.*

Not according to Peirce. According to Peirce, "---- is lethargic" is a
rhematic symbol, and as a symbol it has a general dynamic object (i.e.
whatever possesses the characters of lethargy). But as a rheme, it has no
"hint" that indicates that object, and thus has no immediate object.
Neither the type of this rheme, nor its replicas can denote to someone who
knows only the definitions of English words what the immediate object of
this rheme is, but  can denote to someone who knows only the definitions of
English words to what *kind *of objects such a rheme would be applicable (=
it denotes a general dynamic object). I repeat that talking, in contexts
like this, of a general object as opposed to the dynamic and the immediate
makes little (exegetical) sense to me.

*JAS: I readily acknowledge that my approach is more systematic than
exegetical.  I am seeking to situate Signs and semiosis within an overall
framework that makes sense to me, while remaining as faithful as possible
to Peirce's concepts and terminology.  You stated in your recent book that
you "have not attempted to finish what Peirce left unfinished or to
eliminate 'rubs and botches' from his work," such that your "exposition of
Peirce’s theory of semiotics is no less incomplete than that theory itself
was" (p. 10).  I, on the other hand, am trying to fill in some of those
gaps and further plow the ground that he has cleared and opened up for us
as "a pioneer, or rather a backwoodsman" (CP 5.488, EP 2:413; 1907)*

Indeed our aims are not identical. But let me notice that in order to fill
in some of the gaps in Peirce's theory one should be well aware of what
those gaps are (and thus the systematic work presupposes the exegetical
one, but not vice versa). But in order for a notion to fill in some gap in
Peirce's theory, such gap should be evident to the community of inquirers.
If the gap is only evident to the one who proposes the notion filling it,
this is just to put the cart before the horse.