Jon, Gary, list,

For my purposes in Turning Signs (other than quoting Peirce), the term
“retroduction” works better than “abduction” because its prefix is more
metaphorical, so that it integrates better with the central diagram of
biosemiosis which I call the meaning cycle
<http://gnusystems.ca/TS/mdl.htm#meancyc> . It’s the part of the cycle
complementary to the “prediction” practiced by anticipatory systems.

This past week i've been revisiting some variants of that diagram found in my
sources, starting with Robert Rosen's “modeling relation” diagram which was the
original inspiration for mine. There's a note in the “Comminding” section
<http://gnusystems.ca/TS/css.htm#x05>  which shows how Rosen's diagram of the
modeling process in scientific inquiry also communicates the biosemiotic idea
of anticipatory systems. I've added to that a diagram (with explanation) by
Floyd Merrell which clarifies, among other things, the Peircean idea that an
interpreter is also an interpretant sign – an idea discussed on the list this
past week. Merrell's is also the only cyclic process diagram i know of that
includes the “tripod” diagram of the O-S-I relation. I thought some list
members might be interested in that, hence the link above. (There are also some
links within the text itself that might be helpful in exploring the ideas.)

Gary f.