Jack, List:

Any argumentation that has a "gap" *cannot *be deductively valid. The whole
point is to *show *that the conclusion follows necessarily from the
premisses by spelling them *all *out, especially the ones that are likely
to be disputed. The acknowledged need to "fill in the gap re thing in
itself" entails that nothing has been *demonstrated *yet. *Which
premiss(es) are you omitting?*

By contrast, Peirce offers a very straightforward proof that the *Ding an
sich* is nonsensical, which I have quoted before.

CSP: It has been shown that in the formal analysis of a proposition, after
all that words can convey has been thrown into the predicate, there remains
a subject that is indescribable and that can only be pointed at or
otherwise indicated, unless a way, of finding what is referred to, be
prescribed. The *Ding an sich*, however, can neither be indicated nor
found. Consequently, no proposition can refer to it, and nothing true or
false can be predicated of it. Therefore, all references to it must be
thrown out as meaningless surplusage. (CP 5.525, c. 1905)

In case the deductive validity of this argumentation is not already clear,
we can reformulate it as follows.

1. Every subject of a meaningful proposition must be either indicated or
found (all S is I or F).
2. The *Ding an sich* can neither be indicated nor found (no D is I or F).
3. Therefore, the *Ding an sich* cannot be the subject of a meaningful
proposition (no D is S).

We can then add one more premiss and draw another conclusion from it.

4. Whatever exists can be the subject of a meaningful proposition (all E is
S).

5. Therefore, the *Ding an sich* does not exist (no D is E).

Denying #5 requires denying at least one of the premisses (#1, #2, #4). *Which
premiss(es) are you denying?*

Peirce affirms all of them, so it is necessary for him to infer the
*non-existence* of the thing in itself, contrary to your ongoing
misinterpretation of the Welby excerpt. There is only one Peirce, and it
violates the hermeneutic principle of charity to ascribe self-contradiction
to his different writings when there are viable alternatives. Here is the
full context.

CSP: I show just how far Kant was right though even when right twisted up
in formalism. It is perfectly true that we can never attain a knowledge of
things as they are. We can only know their human aspect. But that is the
universe for us. Reid's position was sounder, except that he seems to think
Common Sense is infallible, at least for that human-phenomenal Universe
which is all there is for us. This is a great mistake[.] Common Sense is to
be trusted only so far as it sustains critical investigation. Of course I
cannot say in short compass exactly what I mean. (SS 140-141, 1911)

Similarly, he wrote the following two years later.

CSP: Immanuel Kant, incomparably the greatest philosopher of knowledge that
ever was, the great scrutinator of Reality, has in one large part of his *chef
d’oeuvre* a good deal to say about the *Ding an sich* meaning all that is
independent at once of Perspection and of Understanding. He even many times
uses the phrase in the plural, possibly as a help to feebler minds. But it
seems impossible upon his own principles that any meaning whatever should
rightly be attached to the phrase. What we can in some measure know is our
universe in such a sense that we cannot *mean* anything of what may be
"beyond." (R 930, 1913)

In short, Peirce is merely using different terms to reiterate his agreement
with Kant that "the metaphysical conceptions ... do not apply beyond the
limits of possible experience" (CP 6.95, 1903). However, he still disagrees
that things in themselves are beyond those limits--note that they demarcate
the range of *possible *experience, not *actual *experience--and thus
reaffirms that Kant's *Ding an sich* is meaningless.

I went through your "essay-lite," but as with many of your long List posts,
I frankly had a hard time making heads or tails of it. For example, you say
over and over that our concepts of things are not *identical to* those
things, but this is uncontroversial and irrelevant--the sign *is not* the
object, but the sign *represents *the object, and the question is whether
the sign can (at least in principle) represent the object *as it is in
itself*.

In any case, I honestly believe that simple and direct answers to my two
specific questions bolded above would be very helpful for advancing the
discussion further.

Thanks,

Jon