John, List:

JFS: I noticed that Tony also adopted Peirce's final choice of 'mark'
instead of 'tone'.

Again, going by the manuscript dates, Peirce's *final *choice was "tone" (R
339, 27 Dec 1908,
https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:15255301$636i), not "mark"
(CP 8.363-364, EP 2:488, 1908 Dec 25)--especially since the latter passage
includes the word "might" and a parenthetical question mark, clearly
indicating that "mark" was tentative rather than definitive.

JFS: The fact that Welby preferred 'tone' is irrelevant, because she
admitted that she did not understand Peirce's discussion, and her reason
for preferring 'tone' has nothing to do with Peirce's system

As quoted, Lady Welby does not say that she does not *understand *Peirce's
"exposition of the 'possible' Sign"--on the contrary, she calls it
"profoundly interesting"--only that she is "not equal to the effort of
discussing it beyond saying that I should prefer *tone *to *mark*"; and
again, her stated rationale for this preference is strikingly similar to
Peirce's stated rationale for coining "tone" in the first place (CP 4.537,
1906). Besides ...

JFS: That is the primary reason why he [Peirce] found Lady Welby's
correspondence so important: She had a solid intuitive way of explaining
principles that he tended to explain in ways that were more abstract and
difficult to understand. Her influence enabled him to find simpler and more
convincing explanations for his abstract ideas. (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2024-02/msg00096.html)

Why think that "tone" vs. "mark" was an exception to this, such that her
"homely" opinion about it did not sway him--especially since he was still
vacillating between these two options, and specifically *asked *her to help
him choose one?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt