raghu wrote:

> I don't know why you are surprised. Obama never promised to leave
> Afghanistan. He has always supported this war as the "good war".

I replied:

> I am not surprised.  I know he threatened upfront to go after
> Afghanistan.  And I didn't have any particular reason to doubt he'd
> actually do it.

Let me qualify this.

I am not surprised that Obama escalated the war on Afghanistan.  What
does surprise me is the way he chose to execute this escalation.  I
thought he would go surgical, with drones and special ops.  Instead,
he is extending the occupation with three times as many troops as were
there when he took over.  If I were cynical and believed that what is
worst in terms of human cost is best in the long run (or if I were the
rulers of Iran, Russia, and China) I'd be happy.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to