[I'm CCing PersianComputing list]

Background:  I contacted Ali Samadi about the copyright status of
the dictionary data that he's advertising on his site.  I claimed
that the data is from the AryanPour dictionary.  Ali said that he
will remove the dictionary until the status is cleared by Massoud
Hashemi that has been the source of Ali's data.  Later I found
the dictionary back on Ali's site, and contacted him again.  He
forwarded Massoud's offensive message to me.  So I decided I
should reply on list.  --  Not surprisingly, there is no email
address from Massoud Hashemi on the web.

Hi Ali,

I'm not talking about the year the website or applications have
been launched, but the data in dictionary.  No one can deny that
the AryanPour dictionary is done by Dr AryanPour and his
brothers.  Massoud can still say that he has been the source of
computerized data.  Do you believe that he has gathered the
information himself?  Or perhaps he payed a typist to type the
AryanPour dictionary?  You are being ignorant if you simply say
"I don't care".  It is important to differentiate between a
computer software, and a computerized text, and the data itself.
In a computer dictionary software, the valuable data is the words
and meanings, eg. the dictionary data, not the computer program
that is written in FoxPro, Perl, CGI, etc.

Second, he says that he does not know me.  That may be true.
But if he would have moved his fingers and do a Google search on
my name, he would probably get some sense.  Still I don't know
why does it matter at all.

I'm a Computer Science student at the University of Toronto,
living in Toronto, Canada.  I can't see how his observations on
Sharif University and people in Iran applies to me.

Next, using pirated software in Iran is completely legal.  The
software copyrights of any country other than Iran is NOT valid
in Iran (yet).  On the other hand, the data in a dictionary IS
copyrighted by Iranian laws.

Last but not least:  I do have a WinXP Pro valid license, sold to
me on my laptop, but I DO NOT HAVE WINDOWS INSTALLED, NOR HAVE
THE INSTALLATION DISKS.  NOR HAVE ANY OTHER NON-FREE SOFTWARE
INSTALLED, OR I USE ANY.

I leave the final decision to you.

behdad

PS.  At least now we have someone that claims have been the
source of infringing copyright of AryanPour dictionary data!  I
would contact AryanPour's lawyer about this as soon as I'm back
in Tehran ;).