Hi,

I’m writing this because I’m sad about what is happening in this list.
I’m seeing a lot of general negativity and non constructive ways to discuss
things.
I’m also seeing more and more people using Pharo for their particular interests
(which is of course a good thing) but less and less people who contribute back
to Pharo.
Finally, I’m seeing more frequently an attitude of “customer”, more than the
conviction than this, Pharo, is also yours…

Please people, we (the pharo “core” team) cannot do everything. We do not have
the manpower or the resources to hire manpower. We would like, but we just do
not have the resources (is already a blessing that we can work on this, for
now: INRIA is paying, but what it pays is *research*, not “pharo the language”,
so this is a collateral advantage….)

So, having an OPEN SOURCE project, with limited resources means that there is a
lot of things that depend on the community.
It depends on the community not just to fix, but to enlarge the ecosystem in
general too.

So, I refuse to believe that we cannot be a cool and helpful community.
I refuse to believe that general negativity and bad humor can overcome the joy
of participating in this collective effort.

So, here some recommendations for enhance the way we participate:

- Be positive. Just “this is a s**t” does not help. Even if it is.
- Be propositional. Just “this is a s**t”, and not telling what you want/prefer
does not help.
- Be proactive. Just “this is a s**t”, and not report, discuss and (at least
time to time) provide a fix/enhancement does not help.

In conclusion: not helping does not help :)
After all, this is the “pharo-dev” list. I mean, the list of people wanting to
participate from this great, community effort.

cheers,
Esteban, still grateful of belonging to this community