> On 3/10/14 18:56, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>

>  I have the same feeling. "Pharo is yours, but I take the main
> decisions". Actually it feels a little bit insulting, I am using Pharo
> since several years in a domain which nobody works with Smalltalk, and
> never got a survey request (except for some software engineering research).
> And I bet there are people not in the Pharo/Moose/Seaside team that didn't
> received any attention and they are doing significant experiences.
>
> You are paranoid. :) We know well people in Moose and Seaside and they
> know that they can talk to us.
> Just ask and we listen. I do not think that people understand what is our
> life. We are not a team working on Pharo. We are a research team
> fighting to get some time to push Pharo and Inria gives us some money to
> pay engineers like igor, and esteban.

I know that. What I am saying is: Why there is no voting process for
libraries, tools, roadmaps, etc? Not for asking things to you but for
getting an idea what's most wanted, where is the community. Some of you are
scientists, you know the value of collecting data.

I remembered there was a Pharo usage poll in 2012 :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sa01_h8_SFoPIrrXaAzpmmCBvnXgEpGzIyslnkcgTpk/viewform?formkey=dFZKeXUwaG80OWhSOGpZVERrX2ZlVGc6MQ&fromEmail=true

I like that route. Even if people with the money don't care, let us believe
we have the data, opinions, ideas, etc. You know like a modern democracy :)

Definitely I would help building a poll, it doesn't *have* to include a
Consortium member but that would be really nice. We could try smart
questions. Anyone?

   Why they don't write here? I suspect one of the reasons is Pharo is
> being too motivated by software enineering research and not enough interest
> for other giant domains like 3D, finance, expert systems, HPC, etc. People
> perceive this.
>
> We are NOT DOING RESEARCH IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IN PHARO.
> Repeat after me.
> We are NOT DOING RESEARCH IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IN PHARO.
>
> We are just maintaining it and making sure that we can have a decent
> compiler and infrastructure to build other systems.

Ok for now I disagree a little bit, but I don't want to go there, I don't
think that would be a productive discussion.

> How could we build finance, HPC, 3d without been experts. Do not dream
> there are full team of researchers at Inria building real 3d engines.
> Why would we go there? Seriously.

Because there is big money in 3D?

>  I see years passing but money never comes. You cannot expect big funding
> if you keep doing things the same as always.
>

> Exactly and do not dream about investors.

Now we work hard to set the consortium. If at the end of the journey,
> people do not sponsor or participate then we will close it.
> and we will look back and say that we did our best. We create an
> autonomous entity that can manage Pharo but if we cannot pay an engineer
> with it then this is ok too. But people should not complain that
> open-source Pharo does not work.
> We do not have mozilla or google behind us and if individuals do not
> understand that they can get an impact = Pharo is yours
> then what can we do. Just continue slower with less engineers.

But there are entrepreneur networks like FounderDating and https://angel.co/
Of course they are not Google but they are a popular choice for initial
investment.
Someone using Pharo has passed the seed funding round?
Or tried to present a business plan?

Cheers,

Hernán