Let's not forget the ecosystem in which these different technologies
thrive.  It's all based on who's paying whom to do what.  The reality of
the situation is that the people in charge don't know (or care) about
all these different technologies.  They may make some broad decisions
(linux vs win), but you can bet they often rely on individual techies to
help guide them to the solution they need.  As technology advances, you
can bet the divide between management and development will only widen.
All that matters now is the end result.  With the disparity in developer
skill, the difficulty in estimating development time accurately, and the
increase in processing power there's a lot of room for developers to
make their own decisions.

In this kind of environment, there is a lot of room for different
programming languages.  PHP has the benefits of lightning fast
development cycles.  Java has the advantage of being a strict, modern,
fault-tolerant language that lends itself to well-written code.  ASP has
advantage of MS 'programming for dummies'-style devlopment tools.  Perl
has the advantage of its text processing abilities.  C has the speed
advantage by staying barebones and relatively low level for a verbose
language.

In order for one of these technologies to die, something has to come
along with all the advantages and no new disadvantages.  Somehow I don't
see this happening to open-source projects like PHP, or MySQL.  It's
much easier to improve them then to develop something better.  I see it
much more likely that these projects could fork to encompass different
goals.

--
Gabe da Silveira, Web Designer

wFone: (612)624-7270