Hi Kriangkrai,

> > Only when an object is accessed (value, property list etc.), it is
> > automatically loaded into the Lisp heap as an "external" symbol.
>
> And once loaded, they can be garbage collected when needed, right?

Yes. The garbage collector knows about external symbols, and handles
them specially. For example, it won't throw away a symbol that is dirty
(not yet committed).

> > The current database files are in a binary format (called "PLIO" for
> > PicoLisp I/O). This is the same format as written and read by the 'pr'
> > and 'rd' functions.
>
> And try following and have no success (the database file is still in binary).
>
>    (let (rd read pr print)
>       (pool "/tmp/t.db")
>       (set *DB "Hello world") (put *DB 'a 11)
>       (commit) )

True. This will not work, as the low level DB-I/O routines do not really
call 'rd' and 'pr', but some internally hard-coded equivalents. It is
just the format that is the same.