Okay, now it's working! Thanks for all your efforts!

As far as the drop-down menu, I can't recall. But it was present with the
distribution package, in .../lib/el if I'm not mistaken. It's just that now
when I run M-x picolisp-mode . . . nothing seems to have happened. For
opening a *.l file, I get "Lisp Paredit Slime Projectile[picolisp] adoc" in
my mode minibuffer. The original picolisp-mode.el instructions warned that
*.l would be grabbed by slime. . . .