Robert Herman <rpjher...@gmail.com>
writes:

Hi Rob,

> I have come the long way round to PicoLisp, and I have been tinkering
> with livecoding (audio/video, not just programming) for fun.
>
> I started with fluxus: www.pawfal.org/fluxus/
> It is a great environment where you code and 3D objects show behind
> your code, and you can drive their parameters from an audio feed or
> file. It was written in a scheme which is now Racket.
>
> I am not a fan of clojure, so I only tried overtone, which is a
> Clojure wrapper for the Supercollider sound server. They also copied
> Shadertoy with their 'Shadertone' which allows for the graphics part
> of the livecoding of music and graphics.

What I see in the livecoding scene is the combination of rather complex
programming with rather simplistic music - relentless techno beats ;-)
I would like it the other way around.

> I personally like Extempore, but I couldn't get it built on my Windows
> machine, the OS X install had some issues with Jack and timing, and my
> Linux distro had a few issues too. All in all, it is very complete and
> complex, but too much fuss for my skills.
> http://extempore.moso.com.au/

If it takes days to make it run it looses attraction ...

> I have been sticking with learning PicoLisp, and I would like to
> somehow get it to work with Grace (a single cross-platform executable,
> that you program music pieces in a Scheme or simplified Scheme called
> Sal). http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/
> Grace or CM lacks a video creation component or library. I was hoping
> to hook into the CM libraries with PicoLisp, and then use Alex's z3d.l
> library to do graphics in PicoLisp. I am not near enough of a
> programmer to do so, only aware that it can be done (I think?).
>
> Livecoding video and audio in a Lisp! Pure heaven...maybe CEPL in
> PicoLisp??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0kWZP9L9Kc

What would be the minimalistic setup? A midi cmdline tool or a C shared
library that can be called from PicoLisp?
Or would Supercollider be the easiest thing to work with, now that the
OSC Protocol is implemented in PicoLIsp?

cheers,
Thorsten