Current maintainer of the plug-in here. First of all, thanks to
philippe_44, bpa, cortegedusage, and mherger for all the comments,
investigations and the pull request.

The plug-in is hosted in my GitHub. I picked it up because the original
author made one post and disappeared after that. I try to patch it to
keep it working. I'm in no way a perl developer, and there are many
parts of the code I still don't understand. I do know the code itself is
in quite a bad state. It's closely related to the SoundCloud plug-in,
which is also constantly on the verge of breaking down. Both need a
rewrite to simplify things.
I actually don't use mixcloud (or SoundCloud) that much to warrant
spending a lot of time on it. I'll still try to keep the plug-in working
if it can be done with small fixes, but I doubt I can find the time to
do a complete rewrite.

The use of dlmixcloud.com is not ideal. But as mixcloud doesn't offer
any public way to stream outside of their website/app it is needed. It
could be possible to handle whatever dlmixcloud is doing natively in the
plug-in, but I have no idea how often this changes, and it might
introduce more breakages if the extract algorithm needs to be updated
constantly. I have thought about using youtube-dl on an AWS lambda/API
gateway. That would simplify things. But there are also some costs
involved with that. And actually I have no idea how many people use the
plug-in, or what hosting of such a service would cost.

@mherger it would be nice if statistics of plugin installs/usage were
available. Is this something you have, or interested in adding to LMS
server?

My patch: 'Reduce brightness when screen saver is active'
(http://server.vijge.net/squeezebox/) for Touch
Plugins: 'SqueezeCloud (SoundCloud)'
(https://github.com/danielvijge/SqueezeCloud), 'Mixcloud'
(https://github.com/danielvijge/lms_mixcloud)