I again had the problem on LMS 7.8.0 on WHS V1 that I couldn't update
the plugin by halt and restart of LMS. I had to reboot the entire
machine same as last time, and this time I know it was rebooted recently
so it isn't some effect of the machine having been running for months.
But I'm now on iPlayer 1.4.9.

I checked cache.db before the upgrade (and then deleted it). It was
still about 700MB, the size it's been for many months. So 1.4.8 did not
cause it to grow in size at all. All I played on 1.4.8 was brief listen
again tests, and several hours a day of Radio 2 live 320kbps Dash AAC.