The main problem is attempting to cut and paste arrays of components in PCB and
 getting them to match up with your schematic. Protel matches the designators
only
and if you do a normal cut and paste array it will try to help you by
renumbering your
designators.

The problem is it renumbers *differently* between schematic and pcb!  Your
designators
will become completly unrelated to each other. PCB adds a suffix to the pasted
arrays,
R1, R2 etc become R1_1, R2_1 etc, SCH will increment in sequence,  R1, R2 etc
will
become  R3, R4 etc. Not good. If you try to reanotate the schematic to add
offsets to
try and match the pcb , all the designators will be *reset* to the next highest
number in
the sequence and then get a suffix. It doesnt work.

The solution I found to be the best is to download  an add on server from
QualEcad
(www.qualecad.com) which will allow you to keep the renumbering similar between
sch and pcb. It gives you the option of adding an offset or suffix to your
pasted array
and will allow full netlist DRC on your pcb against the full schematic. Its not
an easy
thing to set up as you have to get into the guts of Protel to add the server to
your
 menus. Figure about 1/2 a day to set it all up and get it going. The add on has
clear
 details on setting up and examples on how to use it.

Clive Broome
IDT Sydney Design Centre        Ph:         +61 2 9763 3513
8 Bayswater Dr, Homebush        Fax:        +61 2 9763 3409
Sydney,  NSW, 2127              Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Australia

         Australia's Leading Semiconductor Designers

"Bryan Bernesi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 02/13/2001 01:29:28 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]