Bryan Bernesi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As another beginner to Protel, I am having problems trying to transfer my
> netlist from SCH to PCB. I am making a multi-layer board (2 signal, 2 power)
> with 24 exact modules. Each module has an isolated power and ground as well
> as two signal nets.  (which are connected with net labels and ports)
> Now, When I run >>TOOLS>>UPDATE PCB (with NET LABELS AND PORTS GLOBAL
> enabled), all of my nets are connected except for the isolated power and
> ground, and my 2 signal nets.

In a hierarchical schematic, you need to connect the power to the child sheets
on the master sheet(s), just like you connect the signals.

> Also, each module has to be placed and wired the same way. No problem, or so
> I thought. I placed the components and wired the first module; ran the DRC
> no problems. I Copied it, and pasted it (using >>EDIT>>PASTE SPECIAL>>PASTE
> ARRAY), great.... no problems so far, once I had all 24 modules placed I ran
> a DRC again and I get clearance and short-circuit constraints. why????
>
> On another note, sometimes when I run the ERC some of my symbols are changed
> in my schematic, i.e.
> I have a PNP transistor (2N2904 symbol labeled as a TIP125) that changes to
> a different transistor symbol (taken from ????), or a LED (a created symbol)
> that changes back to the standard LED symbol (found in miscellaneous
> devices.lib) but the LED symbol does not change in all 24 modules?!?!?!?!

If you have more than one library open, and there are library parts with the
same
name in more than one library, Protel gets confused.  Since it keeps no info in
the placed part as to what library it came from, it is bad practice to use the
same part
name in more than one library.

Jon