At 08:40 AM 3/14/01 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:
>Geoff, Abd-ul Rahman or others following this thread,
>         first I am curious about the comments on routing to a single layer
>unplated pad. I have single layer unplated pads in most everyone of our
>designs and find no problem routing to them, what is your comment based
>upon, I just don't see it under my circumstances.

That alleged problem was not my report; I have not experienced it; but I
have also not used surface pads with holes.

>         Secondly there are sometimes valid reasons for single-layer pads w/
>unplated holes. In our case we have 'feed-thrus' which pass signals from one
>machined cavity in our assembly to another, a board may have up to a dozen
>of these which are soldered after placing the PCB in place. They are made
>unplated to allow easier de-soldering during assembly, test and servicing of
>the units.

This is an application for unplated holes. It is not necessary to use
surface pads to implement this; one would use padstacks with pad size on
the other layers smaller than or equal to the hole, and the plated
attribute unchecked.

By the way, I have done spaceflight design where skewers were used to
connect boards in a stack. I think there might exist pass-through sockets
which can be used for this. But they might be soldering them for flight
boards; the holes were plated-thru.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690