All,

Here's another example for non-plated pads on one layer...  RF Coax
launches.  We typically have a grounded pad on the top to solder the
shield(s) to, and a non-plated hole leading through the board to a pad in
the output microstrip on the bottom.  We pull back the shield, poke the
center conductor with insulator through the board and solder the center
conductor on the bottom there.  This radiates far less than having the
hotline come up through the board with a nice radiating ring on the
top.  Seems to match better too.  To do this, we simply use a multi-layer
pad with  the top and center set to 0,0 and the bottom set to the desired
pad size, with the appropriate hole.
Like Brad sez, simply using a bottom layer pad will *not* get you a drill
symbol.

-Frank

At 12:52 PM 3/14/2001 -0600, David W. Gully wrote:
>Brad Velander wrote:
> >         The only shortcoming that I know of in Protel with the use of these
> > pads shows up in P99SE where some rocket-scientist at Protel decided that a
> > single-sided (non-padstack) un-plated or plated hole is not a valid drill
> > point and shouldn't be included in the drill drawing symbol generation.
> This
> > had worked in previous versions until P99 or P99SE. I have to experiment
> > over the next few days and see if I can adequately accomplish all my needs
> > with a multi-layer padstack and still get a drill symbol. I can't
> understand
> > why someone at Protel would decide that a drill is not a drill and so not
> > generate a symbol.
> >         During the interim I have had to temporarily change these pads to
> > multi-layer while generating the drill drawing, yuck, I hate doing these
> > sort of things. If we forget to change them back we have many other errors
> > which may pop up in the next set of edits to the design.
>
>I too use non-plated holes with a pad on a single side, but have always
>used the multilayer padstack with no problems (99SEsp5, didn't want to
>change horses in mid stream). I just set the internal and top layer
>sizes to 0, select non-plated, and set the bottom pad size and hole size
>as required.
>
>The only time I would consider using a pad placed on a layer is if that
>pad were not to be drilled. (If a pad is placed on the bottom layer with
>a drill, then it is no longer a pad on the bottom layer since HOW can a
>hole be on the BOTTOM layer?)
>
>Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>

>David W. Gulley
>Destiny Designs

Frank Gilley
Dell-Star Technologies