Hi Steve,

We create the PCB design then copy and paste a format (pcb file) around the
design using the following layer convention:

1- Fabrication (drill) drawing:

drill drawing, mechanical layer 1 and mechanical layer 2

2- Assembly drawing:

Top overlay, mechanical layer 1 and mechanical layer 3

Note: mechanical layer 1 is a common layer that has lines and text that is
applicable to both the drill drawing and the assembly drawing.

We then create gerber files of the artwork layers, pick and place files, NC
drill files and the drawing layers, zip them and send them to our PCB
fabricator.

We use a third party gerber software to view the drawings and make slight
changes if necessary.

We also use the same third party software to clear the silk screen from any
platted holes.

Hope this helps,

Leo Lewis
ABB Automation