We do a varity of boards, most are simple 2 layer
boards but a few a multi-layer boards an example
is one that is 6.00" x 3.50" with 140 components.
The redraws are much faster if the top or bottom
layer or even the silkscreen layer is frozen.
Just make sure that nothing you are editing has
any component on a frozen layer.
We use to use a schematic capture/PCB layout software
program that rode on top of AutoCAD before switching
to Protel and so far I've found AutoCAD is still the
best option for board and assembly documentation.

Regards,
Steve Smith
Product Engineer

Staco Energy Products Co.