I use Autocad for assembly drawings, and I also was plagued by huge files
and long redraw times until I learned a trick.  Before exporting from Protel
make a scratch copy of the board,  and then perform global edits on Tracks,
Text, Designators, and Arcs that change the line width to 0.  This greatly
reduces the file size and redraw time.  You also may want to change the
linewidth of all Multilayer holes to 0 width in Autocad to get them to look
a bit better.
Andy Lintz
PP Systems

> Hi,
> I'm working to define our internal process to document boards for
production.
>  Specifically, I'm having a difficult time generating assembly drawings.
>
> After much discussion, we decided the best path is to use AutoCAD.  It
allows
> a great deal of flexibility to scale, rotate,  and position the details
for
> improving communication with the production staff.  I use Gerber files
> converted to DXF  via Camtastic.
>
> Here's the problem.  AutoCAD is dirt slow when it comes to redrawing the
> screen.  A simple two layer board takes seconds to redraw with only the
> silk-screen layer imported.  The entire layout in Protel or Camtastic is
very
> quick to redraw.  It's killing the process.
>
> Questions:
> 1.)  Is there any way to improve the redraw speed in AutoCAD short of
moving
> from my P3, 600Mhz, 256M RAM to a faster computer?

* To join or leave this list visit: