it works just as well to do this in acad
i delete all the mask layers (saves a lot of redraw time) and then...
EXPLODE ALL, this turns all the polylines into lines

lines and tracks are then snappable and the file gets lots smaller

for mech checking and fitting I change all layers to a single layer and
then PURGE
this way when you pop it into another .dwg it doesn't spew layers into
that dwg

Dennis Saputelli

Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 12:10 PM 2/04/2001 -0400, Andy Lintz said:
> >I use Autocad for assembly drawings, and I also was plagued by huge files
> >and long redraw times until I learned a trick.  Before exporting from Protel
> >make a scratch copy of the board,  and then perform global edits on Tracks,
> >Text, Designators, and Arcs that change the line width to 0.  This greatly
> >reduces the file size and redraw time.  You also may want to change the
> >linewidth of all Multilayer holes to 0 width in Autocad to get them to look
> >a bit better.
> >Andy Lintz
> >PP Systems
>
> This has been my big time saver as well - before exporting to any DXF/DWG I
> make everything 0 mil.
>
> This has another *major* benefit that the CAD snap points work
> correctly.  A 10 mil wide track in Protel is made as a polygon in DXF/DWg
> which is no good for snapping to.  You do need to make sure that the centre
> of you mech layer tracks is your PCB edge etc.
>
> Also, I seem to recall that pads and holes etc are rendered in a very
> inefficient method - shown as filled (I do not know a better way of doing a
> filled circle in DXF/DWG mind you). To fix, once imported in my CAD
> package, I delete almost all the pads and vias - this makes a big
> difference.  I will often place an arc on a mech layer around critical
> holes in the PCB - to shown the holes size and location and then make sure
> "export pads and via holes" is not checked - this helps keep the file size
> down.
>
> I would like the option to export everything in draft mode to prevent this
> blow-up in file size and slow down in redraw.  Everything would be exported
> as 0 thickness and pads/vias etc would not be filled (just arcs showing the
> copper annulus and hole size).
>
> Ian Wilson

* To join or leave this list visit: