For Assembly drawings, one method I have used with some success on single
side components is to use a mechanical layer within the PCB library
component.  You can use whichever of the 16 mechanical layers you choose,
but I choose to use mechanical layer 2.  In the library part, I draw an
image of the part or import an image from an AutoCAD dwg if I have one
already and use a small linewidth such as 4mils.  I then place a special
string on the same assembly layer using the character ".Designator" centered
on the part.  When your placement is finished, you can just output the
assembly layer (mechanical layer *) with whatever other layers you choose
and there is your assembly drawing including reference designators.  This
does not work too well when you have components on the bottom side though
since there is no option for top and bottom assembly layers.  I work around
this by creating a copy of the board and deleting all top side components
then select the board and "move-flip" to make the bottom side readable.
Perhaps in the future, Protel will add an assembly drawing option that will
work like the top/bottom silkscreen that automatically switches to the top
or bottom assembly layer according to what side the component is placed.
Ever since Protel 99SE, I also choose to use the dwg format to import export
to AutoCAD rather than dxf as I find it works better.
Rob Young
Design Engineering Consultant
Tel:  352-799-7977
Fax: 352-799-8977