On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:52:10 -0400, Mike Reagan wrote:

>> I agree. It's strange, but not uncommon. I do think that I remember
>> something someone once told me about removing gold from critical elements

Which elements are non-critical? Like it doesn't matter if they fall off
the PCB :)

>> prior to soldering flight material either by having to literally scrape it
>> off the leads or by some other process, but I can't verify the accuracy of
>> my memory...

It is done. As far as I know for component legs by solder dipping and
dipping fine pitch flat packs is almost impossible without bridging all the
legs or bending them if you use hot air to blow off the excess (never mind
the uneven temperature cycling involved).

I do have a bit of a problem with all this though. If there is a real
problem then everyone has it so why do manufacturers insist on supplying
chips with expensive gold plate?

I suspect it mostly isn't a problem.

Like other problems you can't see it becomes a prime candidate for overkill
solution in some establishments. I have see the same with static control
and even EPROM programming.

I would think it wise to make plating thickness a quality control issue and
don't forget the other half of the equation is how much solder is used to
make the joint.

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit: