At 12:29 PM 7/27/01 -0700, Schattke, Carl wrote:

>I have test points on both sides due to the high density of the product.
>   I am using vias for test points in some locations, so if I give them a
>negative expansion
>then I will be covering my testpoints with mask.
>   Making parts for each testpoint may be my only way.  With several hundred
>points it is
>more than a minor chore, but it would give me consistent results.  But even
>through hole parts don't let us manipulate the top and bottom masks
>separately.
>   We really need Protel to give us access to the soldermask pads on the top
>and bottom.

I haven't done this, but here is how I would look to do it.

If using components for test points, make a component class for top access
and a component class for bottom access. You may be able to use the class
generator to make a class of all selected components.

Then make a solder mask expansion design rule to tent the pad for each
class as desired. Top and bottom masks can be subject to different design
rules by adding layer scope as the second term in the rule selection criteria.

You could also use separate footprints for the top and bottom parts. Tent
them all, but on the top-test-point footprint place a "pad" on the top
solder mask layer of the footprint of the appropriate size, and analogously
on the bottom.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690