jeff,
1. Don't use the database format if you want to get the "backed up" files
out of the actual work. "saved as" files are still in the database, and if
this crashes, the backups also are lost. I use the windows file system since
P99 is out and I never had problems. If you export files from the database,
they also are out of reach... (right-click in the Protel Explorer the
respective file and choose "export". You will be prompted for a path and
filename).
2. There is a "real" backup mechanism. Take a look at the down arrow at the
far left of the Protel menu bar. There you find the "Auto-save settings"
button under "Preferences". I personally use 10 (the maximum possible)
backups in a 10 minutes interval. Quite a lot of files (after 100 minutes,
every open file will have 10 images), but after finishing a project, you can
manually empty the backup folder, normally located under "C:\Program
Files\Design Explorer 99 SE\Backup\" (or your specific protel intallation
path)

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heiko Vachek
elektronik 21 GmbH