----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Adolphs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 10:01 PM
Subject: [PEDA] save copy as is worthless

> Hello! Does Protel99SE crash about daily for you? It does for me, I'm
using
> the Database format and running on a Compaq IPAQ ( crap compared to the
Dell
> I had before) with Windows 2000.
>
> I was doing save a copy as thinking I was creating backups. Wrong! At the
> end of the day yesterday Protel99SE did its daily crash and destroyed all
> the backup files and opened up with a file from 9:43 AM.  I guess I'm
> supposed to export files to another directory?? I guess saving frequently
> and doing a save a copy as to another file name is worthless!

Since we began to use Protel98 (a while ago now), we have had instances
where the automatic backup was saving rubbish in both the main file and the
backups. After a short time, and in the background, the automatic backups
were all bad as the scheme rewrote the same file names. You would keep
working on the file and tomorrow would find all versions, main and backup,
were unreadable (and caused GPF's on loading).

With both 98 and 99, we now file - saveall and close the database every hour
or so, and copy the database manually to another subdirectory (over a net to
another drive using explorer), then reopen the database and continue. If it
refuses to open, we are only an hour or so out for the work.

Never save the file(s), as it suggests after a GPF or resource fault, even
if prompted to by the Protel app.

Regards,

Saddle (In the land of Oz)
"Why does the router in 98 succeed where the router in 99 fails?"

*                      - or email -