Jeff Adolphs wrote:

> Hello! Does Protel99SE crash about daily for you? It does for me, I'm using
> the Database format and running on a Compaq IPAQ ( crap compared to the Dell
> I had before) with Windows 2000.

I'm running it under Windows 95 (not recommended by Protel, but it works).
I do occasionally have crashes, but haven't had one in months.

> I was doing save a copy as thinking I was creating backups. Wrong! At the
> end of the day yesterday Protel99SE did its daily crash and destroyed all
> the backup files and opened up with a file from 9:43 AM.  I guess I'm
> supposed to export files to another directory?? I guess saving frequently
> and doing a save a copy as to another file name is worthless!

There are more hidden backups than you know about.  First, look in the directory

where the .DDB file is, then also check in
\programfiles\DesignExplorer99SE\Backup

If you don't regularly clean that directory, there may be hundreds of backups
there.

> I'm going to do the same &$%@#  thing I did yesterday because I didn't know
> how to backup with Protel99SE

You can copy the entire .DDB file to another directory, or to the same directory

with a different file name.  Beware that that may break some links to libraries
or related documents.  But, that's a lot better than a total loss.  Saving
anything
inside the same .DDB is a poor choice.  If the DDB becomes corrupted, then you
lose everything in it.

> ( and yes I have read the entire manual).

That takes a special skill!  It is just WAY too dry for me - but I have read
most of it
at one time or another, trying to figure out how to do something particular.

Jon

*                      - or email -