At 04:11 PM 9/4/01 -0500, Ken Pelic wrote:
>So far, I have
>located one case where different nets are 4.2 mils apart in the gerbers
>(using CAMtastic) yet Protel's DRC failed to flag this violation with the
>Clearance Constraint design rule set to 5 mils, different nets, board scope.
>I tried to manually measure the suspect spacing in Protel and found that
>with the snap grid set to the minimum of 1 mil, the Measure Primitives
>process still returns a value of 5 mils.  I have tried different grid
>settings but cannot get a value of less than 5 mils...am I missing something
>here?

I'll say that *I* am missing something. I find that the Measure Primitives
tool works properly with small values, well under 1 mil. (I created and
properly reported a 1 microinch gap, and verified other small values with
arcs approaching each other in strange ways (such as interpenetrating.)

However, there may be problems with some class of primitive that I have not
tested.

Snap grid should be irrelevant to the Measure Primitives process. To use
this process (Report/Measure_Primitives) one chooses the first primitive
and then the second primitive. Normally the grid setting will not affect
this unless it is so coarse that one cannot click on the primitive to
choose it.

It is always possible that one's installation of Protel has been garbaged
in some way. Normally this will produce all kinds of problems, not just
one, but it's a big world and just about anything can happen....

I'd be happy to look at a snippet of board file that shows this problem.
Ideally this file will contain only two primitives, a pair that offend.
Just trying to create this test file might solve Mr. Pelic's problem, but
if not, he can send it to me and I'll try it out.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA