From: Bagotronix Tech Support [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 8:41 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] ATS

> Screw them all if that's where the s/w world is heading. Windows2000 (and
> Office 2000) is pretty damn good and so is Protel (even though the router
> isn't close to "state of the art")

I, too, refuse to accept the .NET/XP scheme of time-limited
remote-deactivated licensing, and the slightly less onerous (but still
awful) software maintenance scheme.  Microsoft will encounter massive
resistance to their new scheme once the public gets stung by it.  These
strongarm attempts at revenue expansion seem doomed to fail in the face of
increased competition from open source software.  Let's hope Protel (Altium,
whatever they call themselves this week) realize the error of this change
too.

Some foolish elements must have seized control of Protel.  As evidence, I
present the following facts:
1)  Corporate name change to Altium.  In the business world, a name change
almost always does a company more harm than good.  Why piss away the
million$ spent on advertising and building name recognition?
2)  Changing the software support model to this new ATS software maintenance
monstrosity.  Free support was why many folks chose Protel software in the
first place.  If we had wanted to pay for maintenance, we would have bought
some other package.
3)  Acquisition of other companies.  The acquistion phenomena is purely a
business play.  It doesn't benefit the Protel product in any way I have
seen.  If the Altium folks want to play business money games, they should go
work for an investment firm instead of a CAD software provider.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

> Well if you are right, I'm going to be stuck in a 2001 time zone. If
Protel