P.S. RE ATS:
Just an added note... A very successful friend of mine gave me some advice a
while a go... 'If you want to be a successful, don't be afraid to tell your
secrets..... and always give good service...' He used to be the most
productive new guy on the assembly line and had his work done correctly, way
before the others... they suggested he keep his secrets to himself and not
be so productive because it would do them all out of a job... He refused to
agree with that because he wanted to give good service... Now he's a boss
and they are gone... Lesson being, if you make things better for your
customers they will come back to you and reward you over and over... where
if you get greedy and back away from or cut good service... you will loose
what market share you have and moreover you the reputation will prevent you
from getting other clients... Every Cad company I have known that got greedy
went out of business or is struggling ... I think that says it all...
Remember Scicards, Applicon, Intergraph, Cadnetix, Orcad, Callay, Tellisys,
EE Designer 3, PROCAD .... shall I go on?

I don't use Mentor, Cadence, or PADS, Accel or P-CAD, Zuken Redac's Cadstar,
because of the cost per seat, learning curve, poor editor interface, and the
maintenance cost per year...(not that I wouldn't use them if there was no
choice)...
 I made the mistake of buying PADS (because there was a user base in San
Diego) and what a nightmare... never got use out of the Spectraa Auto Router
that we paid through the nose for... They need a novel size book for all the
software bugs and workarounds (which they don't tell you about in the
demos)...I spent hours and hours on the phone to the tech reps who were not
always there but were out doing demo's with the Sales guy.... (I was not a
happy camper)
 The Main reason Protel was attractive was the cost per seat, ease of use,
and low maintenance.... (and if they would fix the bugs in a timely manner
the market would open to them just by word of mouth)  If CAD Companies drive
up the cost of electronic product development it makes America less
competitive in the world markets and at home... They should cut the
salesman's commissions and recurring costs to A REASONABLE PERCENTAGE and
provide good working product, and give good service.. They will be the only
ones left after the smoke clears... Join the other Cad companies in their
greed... end up in the graveyard with them... Its just common sense. This
stuff always seems to happen when small companies make the transition to
High overhead large companies.. Top heavy sales staffs, and support groups
that are under funded...oh well my 2 cents worth....

<soap-box mode off>

Bill Brooks
(back to designing PCB's with Protel)