while i basically agree with both your sentiments and thoughts about
this issue i'm afraid that it is a losing battle to try to fight it
(although by all means please go ahead)

i say this because i think we will see in the very short run ALL major
software going to a time use business model

in other words at some point there will be no 'ownership' at all (i
realize there is not literally ownership now either) there will only be
the right to use for a period of time
pay pay pay

in fact the UCITA allows remote disabling of your software by the
manufacturer and allows defects beyond normal commercial standards

protel probably knows pretty well what they are doing and they will
probably get away with it simply because everybody else will be doing it
too

the market will in the end determine whether this works, i.e. if there
is sufficient value to warrant the fees

Dennis Saputelli