Just a small point Bill, to pick up on something you mentioned. America
isn't the only country to use Protel, or any of the other CADs tools you
mention. In fact quite a few other countries even design electronics! So in
fact the effects of CAD prices, like Protel, effect everyone all over the
world so America is not likely to be less competative as a result of
Protels, sorry Altiums, change in policy.

I can say that I agree that Altium will lose customers because of ATS. We
only recently (10months ago) selected Protel and one deciding factor was the
free tech support. If I was choose again, Protel may well lose out to a
competitors product simply because thier tech support  now has to be paid
for and the price took quite a significant hike recently.
Having said that I suspect that we will continue to use Protel for a few
years now however  we probably won't be adding any seats or paying for any
upgrades where we may have been tempted to if it wasn't for ATS.
Having said that some companies, previously using more costly tools, may
actually be tempted to buy Protel as a result of thier ATS program, it is a
very good tool but it does have problems, as do even the best out there. I
guess thats why they made the move top ATS. Good for the big boys but not
for the little man.

just my 2 pence worth

TC