On 01:06 PM 13/11/2001 -0800, Dennis Saputelli said:
>every time i tried that there was something it did that i didn't want to
>do
>too bad it's almost useful
>
>Dennis Saputelli
>

>Colin Weber wrote:
> >
> > Also, don't forget about Morphing (or Replication). Protel's best kept
> secret.

Dennis,

I find the replication works well.  I use it heaps when I am placing power
ports, especially on designs with multiple power supplies.  I have a little
niggle with it in that, on power ports particularly, it is quite fussy
about where you hover over the underlying port when you hit INS.

I agree with Colin, it is a really great little feature.

As for the multi-part discussion - I get very annoyed at having to update
the parameters for a hex inverter or a quad op-amp...  I would like a
better method of managing the properties of multi-part components.  Global
changes can be used but even with that there a quite a few key strokes and
mouse presses.  I think multi-part components, when they have the same
non-'?' designator should have only one underlying set of parameters.  This
could get very messy when different sections of the component reside on
different Sch sheets.

I think that the ERC and PCB synchronisation should be extended to do a
check that all sub-parts of a component have the same properties.  This
would be a start.  Even better would be a extension to the ERC that allowed
you to select which one of a set has the correct info and then copy that to
the other sections - I envisage this as a dialog box showing the
discrepancies and allowing you to pick the correct info to be forced into
each part of the multi-part component.

Ian