At 03:15 PM 11/14/01 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>  Does anyone know how
>to global change a footprint and have it put the new part in the
>same orientation as the old one?  It seems like it put all the new
>ones in the default orientation, with pad 1 at the same coordinate
>as the old part, instead of using the orientation of the existing part.

Sure, this is how I would do it. I had the same problem in the past and I
fixed it manually, but I don't think that would have been necessary if I
had discovered the problem before the original orientations were lost.

(Protel: please fix this: footprint rotation should be preserved when the
footprint is replaced through a global edit or update from schematic. I
can't think of a case where this would be harmful.)

The pad 1 position is not universal. Rather, the reference position for the
footprint will be used, which is determined in the library. It is often
better to use the centroid than pad 1. In fact, there are some good
arguments for centroid position being the default.

Anyway, before doing the global replace, select all the parts with the same
footprint as you want to replace and with rotation 0, using a global edit.
Then replace all the selected parts with the new footprint. These should
already be okay since zero is the default orientation.

Then do the same thing with rotation 90 footprints. If they remain
selected, which I'd think they would, you can then edit them back to
rotation 90. Likewise with other rotations.

If they *don't* remain selected, which I don't expect, you will have to
modify the procedure. But I don't think you will need to do that.

I've assumed that the new footprint has the same basic orientation in the
library as does the old one. Rotation zero is however the footprint appears
in the library, it is completely arbitrary as far as Protel is concerned.

As I mentioned, I haven't tested this, so if I've stuck my foot in my
mouth, I trust that someone will remove it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA