The files in question were returned to Protel under NDA, they confirmed the
problems as reported and indicated that at present there was no fix.

Sorry, but I can't transmit designs to the public, at least without NDA,
thanks for the offer anyway.

I can say that there are about:-
1100 components spread across two sides
1000 nets
10000 track segments (last time I talked to the guy doing the layout)
2450 vias
450 holes
6 layers
Several silk and mech keepout layers etc.
5000 SMT pads
15 Polys on two layers
.DDB runs at about 20-70Mb and lives on the same HDD as the program.
All in a 10" x 8" board area

In any case, Protel works on at least one machine here (if with some
deficiencies) without crashing (too often). That eliminates user error and
bad files (incidentally neither of which should EVER affect a well written
program, I know, as well a hardware engineer I'm also a programmer).

So far as the poly problem goes, the fix in that case it to set 'Auto
Repour' to 'Never' and then use my 'Repour All Poly' server, available on
the yahoo group, failing to do this results in some long waits!!

Explain why a fresh re-install of 2000 + sp2, then Protel +sp6 crashes on
several operations, even on first run.

Explain why printing on one machine with exactly the same graphics card,
graphics drivers, print drivers etc. works fine. On the new one it does not,
if it prints at all, many entities are missing, especially outline boxes.

(Note I've seen the latter on several past Protel installs with certain
graphics cards, notably ATI)

So we've got the same files on the same everything, what's left?  Protel is
sensitive to PC hardware, surely not......

J.

Jason Morgan - Senior Development Engineer
CITEL Technologies Ltd.