On 08:52 AM 26/11/2001 -0500, Watnoski, Michael said:
>This is exactly where it would be useful, on programmable devices.  Pins
>could wired arbitrarily originally by the engineer and then swapped by the
>board designer.  The completed schematic would be returned to engineer for
>software changes after the pins were optimized.  Please don't forget that
>other are still getting a lot of use out of 74xx  series of ICs and related
>devices.
>
>Michael

This would be interesting - a PCB designer changing the fit of a CPLD or
FPGA.   That would not go down well with me...unless there was detailed
discussion and I had investigated the side-effects on fit, timing, resource
usage etc.

This sort of thing could work well if there was a method of conveying which
pins could swap with what at the Sch level.  But not arbitrary changes.
Maybe there is a an argument for being able to define pin groups at the Sch
Lib level, and being able to change them at the Sch level.  Any members of
a pin group can be swapped with any other of the same group.  This would be
an extension to the idea of the older pin swapping but made more general
for the modern programmable devices.

But it is many many years since I missed the feature - I always go back to
the Sch; these days we concentrate heavily on configuration control, and
that means Sch and PCB in absolute lock.

Ian Wilson