On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mr. Lomax
> I would hesitate to let the pcb routing dictate the FPGA configuration. It
> has been my experience in the past that this can result in disastrous
> synthesis. I would suggest that unless you have full control over the FPGA
> simulation, synthesis and layout, that it is best to let the FPGA
> programming (Xilinx Foundation or fascimile) dictate what pins get connected
> to what signal.

Until, of course, you need to re-spin the FPGA. I generally try to pick
'appropriate' pins on FPGAs, clustering them in the right blocks and the
sane dataflow directions if appropriate, to give the tools the best
chance, then nail them down hard (including inventing pins called
"spare_pin_37", etc.).  I guess if the PCB's really, really tight, then
the FPGA routing can be constrained into the PCB. Xilinx Foundation
certainly seems to be less inept in this than its predecessors.

Steve