At 03:50 PM 11/21/01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Mr. Lomax
>I would hesitate to let the pcb routing dictate the FPGA configuration.

What I wrote applies generally to any part where swapping is appropriate.
It also works for resistor packs, where there is no problem. I do not swap
anything without engineer approval -- unless I know both the engineer and
the job well and know that it will be harmless --, and yes, often the
requirements of FPGA routing make swapping more trouble than it is worth.
(I.e., swap, then verify FPGA routability, then fix as necessary) However,
the cost savings from swapping can be considerable, one may save two layers
in fab, so I would not rule it out.

I am doing a major job at this time which could not be accomplished without
swapping, I don't care how much money one wanted to throw at it.... I.e,
the placement and routing requirements will dictate which amplifiers in a
many-amplifier ASIC will be assigned to which signals. The routing *must*
be straight-through, the design is so tight that there is no room for
line-swapping vias.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA