At 06:06 PM 12/17/01 -0500, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
> > FCC Part 15 be blowed :-)
>
>How about those gov't regs that prevent stuff from working well?  You gotta
>love those (NOT).

I'm not expert on the subject, but as I recall, most of the thrust of the
FCC regulations is toward preventing interference between the regulated
product and other equipment. Yes, almost inherently, this can result in
performance restrictions and/or increased cost. However, users may, if they
are willing to risk voiding the warranty, modify the product provided they
are also willing to take responsibility for any resulting interference.
Recall anyone going to jail for tweaking their TV or computer? The worst
thing you are going to see, here in the U.S., is a knock on the door, and
even that is very, very unlikely unless you start broadcasting at
relatively high power, which is hardly consistent with efficient cabling!

>Does the "lead-free solder" debate come to mind?

What comes to mind is the polarization of society into camps, each one of
which trusts the others not at all. As a result, whichever camp happens to
be in power makes a huge mess, because it neglects the legitimate concerns
of the other sides. So the anti-government libertarians or General
Bullmoose business stooges will tear away regulations which protect people
and the environment, and the anti-business so-called liberals will neglect
real people (after all, business means jobs) in favor of starry-eyed
principles.

"Liberal" was supposed to mean "willing to consider all sides." And
"Conservative" was supposed to mean "thoughtfully protective." In the end,
however, society seems to divide all too often between "intelligent" and
"stupid."

There is a story of the king who stepped on a thorn. He ordered his kingdom
paved with leather so that he could walk anywhere without fear of being
hurt. His advisors were frantic with worry because they knew that this
would not only bankrupt the kingdom but would also have some other negative
effects, to say the least. Finally one of them hit upon a solution. He made
a pair of sandals and gave them to the king....

We see, today especially, many who would pave the world with leather; any
one of us can experience this simply by flying from point A to point B,
especially in the U.S. It's easy to understand the response, but the money
spent and the economic value of the delay to every traveler could certainly
make for some handsome sandals. I.e., secure cockpit doors, air marshals,
always-on navigational beacons and cockpit voice transmitters. We might
also consider what could be done to ameliorate the conditions which breed
fanatics, but that is a whole other level of response, perhaps too much to
expect.

Anyway, the Protel relevance here is in an encouragement to do what is
necessary to make the hardware work well with Protel; I'm probably going to
stick with Matrox since the additional cost is trivial compared to the
value of my time.... I do encourage users, however, to continue to share
experience; perhaps we could come up with a list of widely validated video
cards.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA