<snip>
> Has anyone heard about the start of the Phoenix beta program? I've talked
> with them in the past and know I'm on the list, but it's now Feb and they
> were claiming a ship date of March I believe. That's not much time to
> test...
>
> Tony

I strongly suspect that notifying someone that they have been accepted for
membership of the beta testing program does not necessarily mean that they
will be invited to beta test every new release of software.

As such, it is not out of the question that beta testing of Phoenix actually
is occurring at present, and we are not aware of that, due to whoever is
participating being prohibited from publicly disclosing that (because of a
NDA that testers have to agree to).

And regardless of whether that is the case or not, Altium's announcement of
publicly releasing Phoenix this quarter (i.e. before the end of March)
should be taken with a grain of salt. If the release actually occurs later,
it would hardly be the only example of a company not releasing a new version
of software by the originally announced date.

It is not unreasonable to assume that there is a prospect of Phoenix being
released prior to it being thoroughly beta tested and debugged. As such, I
wouldn't mind some delay in the public release, if the product ended up the
better for it. (I don't know if there will be a public prerelease version
before the final public version, but there would be a lot to be said for
Altium  actually doing that.)

I guess it is a case of waiting to see what happens...

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer