Most of what I would say on this has already been said by others.

PWB was widely used in military electronics, where they tended to be
sticklers for detail. PCB was widely used, however, in commercial
electronics, where the distinction between "wiring" and "circuit" was
mostly ignored.

It is clear that the standard name for what most of us design is printed
wiring boards, PWBs, what Mr. Saputelli called the "fab". The assembly is
then a Printed Wiring Assembly, that is, a PWB with added parts. "Printed
Circuit" only has cachet from usage, a usage that was unconsidered, it
would be better if we said goodbye to it, without becoming language nazis.

A "circuit" is not just the wiring, it is a loop, or possibly the non-power
portion of the loop which completes the loop.

The question was asked about true printed circuit boards. These boards have
features, etched in copper or otherwise incorporated into the "board" as
part of the fabrication process, which are not merely wires, they have
electronic functions and they will properly appear on the schematic and
will have footprints; examples are resistors, inductors, capacitors,
mixers, delay lines. We have discussed methods for keeping shorts on these
parts open for DRC purposes.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA