According to IPC-T-50:

Printed Circuit Board -
A printed board that provides both point-to-point
connections and printed components in a predetermined
arrangement on a common base. ( See also "Printed
Wiring Board.")

Printed Wiring Board -
A printed board that provides both point-to-point
connections, but not printed components, in a predetermined
arrangement on a common base. ( See also "Printed
Circuit Board.")

Printed Circuit Board Assembly -
An assembly that uses a printed circuit board for component
mounting and interconnecting purposes.

Printed Wiring Board Assembly -
An assembly that uses a printed wiring board for component
mounting and interconnecting purposes.

Therefore, according to the above, what most of us call
pc boards are actually pw boards.

Regards,
Steve Smith
Product Engineer