Apologies for responding to my own post, but a tip that might be useful if
you encounter the same problem that I described is to use the plastic bushes
that are supplied with TO3 mounting kits. The sleeve successfully isolates
the screw from the copper, and the wall thickness is such that they fit
without opening the hole up (for M3, anyway!).

Hope this helps somebody someday.

Steve.