Perhaps it's mere academic foolishness to state that, at high speeds, the
wiring *itself* is a component.

I guess what I really want to say is what's the point. I would hope that
everybody who needs to know understands the difference. Certainly all the
list participants. Another pointless pedantic academic discussion unrelated
to getting the job done.

Here's my perspective: I just pulled an all-nighter manually rerouting due
to a 0.5mm pitch FFC connector that got wired 180 degrees out. I discovered
the problem at 11PM. By 5:30AM I had the board ripped up, re-placed,
re-routed and ready for CAM. At 5:45AM when I realized I hadn't saved in a
long stretch, I hit Alt-F-S. At this, Protel 99SE locked up and the previous
couple of hours' work was lost.

Shame on me for working too hard. Shame on me for not hitting Alt-F-S more
often. Shame on me for not having auto-save turned on because database
sharing doesn't work right and I didn't want to accidentally overwrite the
other guy's work...but...SHAME ON PROTEL FOR PROVIDING UNSTABLE, FLAKY-ASS,
SO-CALLED "PROFESSIONAL" "ENGINEERING" SOFTWARE THAT ROBS ME OF MY TIME aND
my BEAUTY SLEEP!

Well, I'm going back to work now. I'm busy designing actual boards for
actual commercial products that have to be fabbed, stuffed, tested, and
installed in those actual products over the next few weeks. Y'all have a
nice time chatting about IPC this and that, m'kay?