Christopher Rhomberg wrote:

> Lloyd,
>
> I had the same problem yesterday and found that the reson for the bug ZA was
> that I had created a new footprint and forgotton to place the edge
> of the component or pin1 to the origin in the PCB library. The component
> ended up being about 40mm bigger than what you see as Protel makes a
> perimeter rectangle around the component starting from the origin, ie the
> further from the origin you are the bigger your "component gets" but you
> don't see this when you place it.

Yup, you only can see the extent of the component when moving it, I think.
The method for getting a reasonable zoom and position of the center when
creating a component freehand (the "wizard" is pretty useless for the parts
I have to create from scratch) is klunky, at best.  You have to zoom in
one page-up at a time, and recenter while watching the coordinate display,
and repeat until the screen shows a reasonable scale for the component.

Jon