At 04:48 PM 27/02/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Yup, you only can see the extent of the component when moving it, I think.
>The method for getting a reasonable zoom and position of the center when
>creating a component freehand (the "wizard" is pretty useless for the parts
>I have to create from scratch) is klunky, at best.  You have to zoom in
>one page-up at a time, and recenter while watching the coordinate display,
>and repeat until the screen shows a reasonable scale for the component.
>
>Jon

Jon,

You can speed this up slightly by zooming in to get the approximate scale
you want and then doing a J-L (jump location) and entering 0,0 - saves on
the re-centring.

I will usually start placing the first pad, tab to set the pad parameters,
zoom in until I see the pad about the size I want and then J-L to jump to
the required location for this pad (or just 0,0 to get close) and then
click to place the pad.  The extra time taken to zoom in is minor (no
re-centring required) but, you are right, it is a bit clunky.  Better would
be the PCB library zoom starting with about 5 cm (2") extents.

Ian Wilson